FATIGUE … The Real Issue.
Planes, trains, cranes, trucks, buses, and vessels are complex machines that require the full attention of the operator. The cognitive impairments of these individuals that result from fatigue due to insufficient or poor quality sleep are critical factors to consider in improving transportation safety.
Due to an increase in the number of accidents related to sleepiness and fatigue, there is growing evidence to support the need to test commercial operators for obstructive sleep apnea (OSA). Obstructive Sleep Apnea is the most common form of sleep problems that can affect the health of your operators and negatively impact their safety and productivity.
• 40 million Americans suffer from a sleep disorder.
- 20 million require treatment for Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA).
- 4 million licensed truck drivers in the US are thought to have OSA.
• Poor sleep increases the risk of cardiovascular disease, high blood pressure, diabetes, stroke and arrhythmias.
• The National Sleep Foundation’s research found that transportation workers aren’t getting enough quality sleep ...
- 20% of pilots,
- 18% of train operators, and
- 14% of truck drivers say they’ve had near misses or made a serious error due to lack of sleep.
• The National Sleep Foundation states that pilots suffer more sleep deprivation than most of the other professions surveyed.
- 50% of the pilots in the study say they rarely get a good night’s rest.
• The Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine states:
- 17% of the 450 truck drivers they tested met the screening criteria for OSA.
- Overweight truck drivers are more likely to have OSA, and screening for the condition can reduce the risk of truck crashes and improve the quality of life for these drivers.
• Sleep deprivation leads to stress, which leads to more restless nights.
• Tired operators are more likely:
- To nap on the job.
- Get into traffic accidents while traveling to and from work.
Hackensack Sleep Center Partners, LLC’s staff of sleep specialists is dedicated to evaluating and preventing sleep disorders through education, Home Sleep Testing and In-Lab Sleep Testing. The employers’ and workers’ needs and concerns are important to us, which translates into prompt scheduling of appointments and prompt delivery of results.
Sleep disorders not only affect transportation workers, but professional athletes’ performance, as well. That’s why the New York Giants have chosen Hackensack Sleep Center Partners to provide sleep studies to their athletes.
S.A.F.E. FOR TRANSPORTATION WORKERS:
Hackensack Sleep Center Partners offers their comprehensive Sleep, Alertness and Fatigue Education program to companies and their employees to help reduce operator errors due to inadequate or lack of quality sleep. We partner with the worker, employer and union representative by providing the essential sleep evaluation tools for the overall safety of the commercial operator. Our confidential sleep testing is provided at ONE THIRD the cost of a sleep study at a hospital.
• Prevention through Education: On-site fatigue awareness education by a sleep expert presented to your human resources department, supervisors, union representatives, and employees.
• Screening: Confidential sleep questionnaires for employees to help identify the signs and symptoms of potential sleep issues and challenges.
• Testing: We provide both Home and In-Lab Sleep Testing.
• Treatment: Could be as simple as lifestyle modification or as complex as physician management.
• A.W.A.K.E. (Alert, Well and Keeping Energetic) Program: A support group for patients with Sleep Apnea located at our facility in Hackensack or at your place of business.
SLEEP EVALUATIONS AT HSCP:
Hackensack Sleep Center Partners can evaluate and diagnose sleep disorders including obstructive sleep apnea (OSA), insomnia, sleep related breathing disorders, problems associated with excessive daytime sleepiness, problems with circadian rhythm, and abnormal behaviors during sleep, and sleep related movement disorders.
• Home Sleep Testing
• Nocturnal Polysomnogram (PSG)
• CPAP Titration Study
• Split Study
• Multiple Sleep Latency Test (MSLT)
• Maintenance of Wakefulness Test (MWT)
• HSCP is staffed by licensed, registered polysomnographic technologists with advanced certifications and education.
• We operate under a Medical Director who is Board Certified in the specialties of Sleep Medicine, Pulmonology, Internal Medicine and Critical Care.
Hackensack Sleep Center Partners, LLC is licensed by the State of New Jersey and Accredited by the American Academy of Sleep Medicine. Our center offers four comfortable, high-end 5-Star accommodations with cable television and DVD players. For those patients who have been referred for a daytime study (MSLT/MWT) we also offer wireless technology for laptop use during wake times. Because our rooms are more comfortable than conventional sleep study rooms, the patient feels more relaxed. This can help maximize the effectiveness of the sleep study. We also provide convenient FREE parking at the building and 24-hour security.