HOW TO PREPARE FOR YOUR SLEEP STUDY
• Please do not arrive at the sleep lab before 7:30 pm.
• Bring something comfortable to sleep in and any toiletry items you may need.
• If you take medications, please take them before you arrive or bring them with you.
• Please do not have any caffeinated or alcoholic beverages; only decaf or caffeine free beverages 8-12 hours before your sleep study begins. This includes any foods (ie: chocolate).
• Before you arrive, please bathe and wash your hair thoroughly.
• Avoid hair sprays, hair gels and body lotions.
• A regular daily activity level should be maintained the day of the study with the exception of taking a nap. Please, do not take naps the day you are to be tested.
• There will be one sleep technologist monitoring your sleep study. The test is also recorded by video camera.
• It takes approximately 30-40 minutes to apply the necessary equipment for your sleep study.
• There is cable TV available in each private room for your entertainment while waiting to begin your test.
• Generally, your sleep study will begin at approximately 10:30 pm or earlier if possible. Lights are out and TVs off no later than 10:30 pm, as we must try to obtain 5-6 hours of recording time to complete the procedure.
• Your study will end at approximately 6:30 am the following morning, unless you request otherwise. At that time, once your equipment is removed, you are free to get dressed and go home.
• If you are scheduled to have a Multiple Sleep Latency Test (MSLT) it will follow the overnight test starting in the morning with a series of four or five 20 minute naps. Breakfast and lunch will be provided for MSLT patients. The day test will end approximately between 3:00 and 4:00 pm.
NOTE: Please be certain to eat dinner prior to your arrival. Although small snacks are available, evening meals are NOT provided by the sleep center. However, The Gourmet Pantry deli, located in the lobby of the Excelsior I building, is open from 7:00 am until 9:00 pm. You are also welcome to bring something to the facility